At this time of year many people feel themselves getting depressed. This can be for a number of reasons. The run-up to Christmas is exciting and busy and people always have plenty to do including buying presents for loved ones, planning meals for Christmas day and decorating the home.
After Christmas, New Year provides parties and an excuse to get dressed up and enjoy oneself. After this time of year has passed however it can be easy to slip into depression. The house may seem bland and boring after the Christmas tree has disappeared, there are no parties to look forward to and moreover many people find themselves with little money and a lot more weight on them than before the festive season. Here are a few suggestions and tips on how to beat the winter blues and revitalise your home and your body.
- Leave up some lights around the house – Fairy lights can be used around the home to brighten up the place and make it sparkle. The use of fairy lights is popular after the New Year as it stops the house from seeming dull and lack-lustre after the bright lights of Christmas.
- Add bright colours to the home – This can be in the form of brightly coloured throws and cushions around the home. Orange, yellows, bright reds and other bright colours are perfect for making the house seem vibrant and lively. Many people choose this time of year to paint their home in new and exciting colours.
- Clear away the clutter – Make a brand new start to the New Year by clearing away the clutter in the house. Doing this is not only good for the house but it is also good for the soul as well! Clearing away all the junk from a home can make a person feel better about themselves and their life.
- Embark on a new home project – This could be the perfect time to embark on a home project that will make the home look more beautiful. Having a constructive project to focus on will keep the mind busy and will distract from any feelings of depression. Small projects work well at this time of year as many people start trying to cut back on spending but this does not rule out every home project. For instance, the internals doors within the home could be replaced with beautiful new oak doors, carpets can be replaced and walls can use a fresh lick of paint.
- Finally many people choose this time of year to detoxify their body to help them feel more alive and energetic. When we feel good we look good and feel better about life in general. Thus, this time of year is the perfect time to detoxify the body, beat the winter blues and shed any extra pounds that we may have put on over the holiday period.
- Embrace the Danish art of Hygge – learn the little tricks that can make your life that little bit happier.
Although this time of year can be depressing it is possible to brighten up the home and feel better with the clever application of fairy lights, bright colours, cushions, throws and de-cluttering and detoxifying.